The second generation Amazon Echo is a new necessity for seniors. It uses the Alexa AI technology to help older generations glide through their daily routines with much more ease. Newly named the Amazon Echo Silver, the product is designed specifically to cater to the needs of seniors.
Much more than just a wireless speaker, the Amazon Alexa devices use the sound of your voice to make your daily life much more convenient. The technology can answer questions, order Domino’s pizza to your doorstep, help you communicate with others, create lists, shop online, and so much more.
Interestingly, Amazon named Alexa after Alexandria’s ancient library and is now Amazon’s voice-control system. Using a trigger word followed by a request, the Amazon smart products do anything from turning off the lights to playing music. Trigger words are either “Alexa”, “Echo”, “Amazon”, or “Computer”.
While these products only use WiFi, and there is no need for batteries, but you need a strong and consistent WiFi connection in order to get the most use out of your device. You also need to purchase an Amazon Prime account to use your Amazon smart device.
Echo (2nd Generation) - Smart speaker with Alexa
Echo connects to Alexa to play music, read the news, set alarms and timers, answer questions, control compatible smart home devices, and more.
Echo (2nd Generation) - Smart speaker with Alexa and Dolby processing - Charcoal Fabric
- Alexa has skills - With tens of thousands of skills and counting, Alexa is always getting smarter and adding new skills like tracking fitness, playing games, and more.
- Meet Echo - Our flagship smart speaker that connects to Alexa to play music, set alarms and timers, answer questions, control smart home devices, and more. Fits best in communal spaces, like living and family rooms.
- Designed to protect your privacy - Built with multiple layers of privacy protections and controls, including a microphone off button that electronically disconnects the microphones.
- Enjoy room-filling sound - Enjoy crisp vocals and dynamic bass response with Dolby processing.
- Voice control your music - Stream songs from Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Sirius XM, and others.
What is Alexa for Seniors?
Amazon is partnered with AARP to design and release the new Amazon Echo Silver which is designed specifically for the older generation with the idea that it allows seniors to request help whenever they need it in their homes.
Unlike other Amazon smart products, the Echo Silver has a wood-grain barrel and dressed up with gold accents. It even has its own matching stand, intentionally designed to match any retirement-aged home environment.
Reasons to Buy Alexa for Seniors
Regardless of age, there are many compelling reasons why you might consider buying an Alexa. Check out the list below for more information about Alexa’s abilities so that you can add one of the products to your home today.
2. Personal Assistant
3. Learn New Things
4. Hone your Chef Skills
5. Convenient in an apartment
Features of Alexa for Seniors
How to set up Alexa for Seniors
The only things you’ll need to set up Echo is a WiFi connection and a smartphone, tablet, or computer. After the initial setup, Alexa will only rely on WiFi.
Step 1: Download the app for Alexa
- Connect your device to wifi, and then open the app store and search for the free “Alexa app”.
- If you are using a computer, use the Amazon Alexa Website to download the app.
- Make sure that the device you’re using to start up Alexa is iOS 9.0 or higher, Android 5.0 or higher, or Fire OS 3.0 or higher.
Step 2: Plug in your Amazon Echo device
- Plug Alexa’s power adapter into a power source.
- Within less than a minute, the device turns orange, indicating that Alexa is being activated.
- Finally, you’ll hear Alexa talking and she will start to walk you through the set-up process.
Step 3: Connect Echo to Wi-Fi
- Using the app, you will need to connect Echo to Wi-Fi.
- Saving your wifi password to Amazon will allow you to easily connect if you buy more Amazon Alexa products
Step 4: Chat with Alexa
- Start by saying the trigger word “Alexa”.
- At this point you can change the trigger word by saying “Alexa, change the trigger (or wake) word”.
- As previously mentioned, you can only change the trigger word to “Echo”, “Amazon”, or “Computer”.
Step 5: Begin using your Echo
- You’re all set! Begin testing your new Alexa device by starting with simple commands like “Alexa, what is tomorrow’s forecast?”
Benefits of Having and Using Alexa for Seniors
The Amazon Echo Silver provides a wealth of knowledge, guidance, and safety features to seniors. Using new and specialized technology, this simple device is user-friendly and will be a great addition to any home.
Stop worrying about elderly family members or loved ones, and introduce the Amazon Echo Silver to them for easier and more convenient living.
Last update on Friday, March 11, 2022 - 0:11:00 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API